Thursday, July 30, 2015

One Day I Wrote Her Name Upon the Strand


The following is a famous poem by British Edmund Spencer:

ONE day I wrote her name upon the strand,
But came the waves and washèd it away:
Again I wrote it with a second hand,
But came the tide and made my pains his prey.
Vain man (said she) that dost in vain assay        5
A mortal thing so to immortalise;
For I myself shall like to this decay,
And eke my name be wipèd out likewise.
Not so (quod I); let baser things devise
To die in dust, but you shall live by fame;        10
My verse your virtues rare shall eternise,
And in the heavens write your glorious name:
  Where, when as Death shall all the world subdue,
  Our love shall live, and later life renew.






I have always liked this poem, since I first read it in high school in my English literature class, but during this vacation it brought about a different reflection: as humans we can be scared of death and of the unknown associated with it,but it does not have to be that way. 
When we grow up we first obey our parents because we are scared of the consequences; as we grow older we learn to obey them, because we trust that what they are telling us and what they ask us to do is for our good and wellbeing.
We need to reach the spiritual maturity of trusting God the same way; where we know that what He is asking of us and what we are called to do on this earth as his children is for our good and the good of all humanity. If we can do that, then we will no longer be scared, we will no longer fear...  How do we do that? The formula is prayer, continuous prayer as St. Paul said to the Thessalonians (chapter 5):

No comments: